Take a tour of Hernando County and you may think you’ve been transported to several distinct locations in one trip. From the shimmering waters of the Gulf of Mexico in the west, through the historic hills of the Brooksville Ridge, to the majestic forests in the east, Hernando County’s geography is remarkably diverse. Site selectors will appreciate the options for locating a business property, while also providing their employees with an array of living options that range from coastal to country.
Nestled on the northern tier of the eight-county Tampa Bay metropolitan market, Hernando County is the geographic center of Florida. Its transportation network of roads, air and rail offer easy connections for businesses that require time-saving distribution logistics throughout the Sunshine State.
• Hernando County stretches 37 miles east to west, and 18 miles north to south.
• The county is 589 square miles. 110 square miles are rivers, lakes and springs.
• At 220 feet above sea level, Chinsegut Hill Retreat, a conference and event center north of Brooksville, is one of the highest elevations in Florida.
• The geographic center of Florida is 12 miles NNW of Brooksville. (28° 41.0'N 82° 31.0’W)
• Five major highways criss-cross Hernando County. North-south routes include Interstate 75, U.S. 19, the Suncoast Parkway and U.S. 41. The latter two run adjacent to the Brooksville-Tampa Bay Regional Airport and Technology Center. I-75 is east of Brooksville and connects via the major east-west artery, State Road 50.
• Tampa International Airport is a 40-minute drive from central Hernando County, and Orlando International Airport is 75 minutes away.
• 52 miles of rivers flow through Hernando County, including the Weeki Wachee River and the Withlacoochee River.
• Approximately 32% of land is owned by federal, state and local governments.
• Approximately 23% of Hernando County land is agriculturally classified as Greenbelt.
• There are 25 county parks, 3 community parks and 1 Florida State Park, as well as privately-managed parks, preserves and other protected lands.